Saturday, May 24, 2008

Looking back on Boston

DAY 1

Or should I say "Bahsten"? God knows none of us could say Worcester (pronounced "Wuh-ster"), even by the time we left so...Boston it is.

Wow, yes, Boston it really is amazing. Coming from Miami, which is a large city by any means, you'd figure you'd know what to expect. This place blew me out of the water. The sheer saturation of people and places and ways to get there. Forget that its a "concrete jungle" the common term used back home. This is the jungle piled on top of itself, over and over. An amalgam of old and new, from art to architecture to simply the oldest part of America. Amazing.

So, the trip begins on a Thursday afternoon. I hadn't packed, and I got off work late. Gabe hasn't packed, plus he got out of work late to. It's 4, our plane leaves at 7. Can we make it? We pack at lightning speed, get showered, feed the cat and get out the door. It's 4:47. Will we make it?

No, we won't. By 18 measly minutes. The bag clerk tells us this lovely information and directs us to the counter. Gabe's stressing, but could we have done? So the clerk at check in gives us stand by for a 6:10 am flight. We walk back to our car as the rain begins to fall. Kinda pissed off, kinda hungry. So we head of to the Cheesecake Factory. I need a glass of wine and Gabe needs some cheesecake.

4 am rolls around and we get up and ready and out the door by 5:15. A miracle by any stretch. We get the seats and its a smooth early morning flight, over the gray clouds and the wet world below.

As we descended into Boston I could see the cityscape in the distance, it was a chilly 50 degrees and wet. Yup, 50 degrees. And the warmest thing I brought was a cardigan (oops!)
The airport in Boston is large, reminiscent of MIA, but cleaner and better organized...Like most other large cities in comparison to Miami...anyway..Gabriel's older brother David meets us at the terminal and lead us to a much needed breakfast. We've got a couple hours to kill since Gil (G's father) was coming in at 10:30, so we went downstairs to get food. To my delight there was kashi cereal and silk for breakfast. (woo hoo, vegan fare!!!). Catching up with Dave was great, but I was anxious to get into the city!

It was to my slight dismay that all 9 of us would be traveling to Connecticut for the day, this city would have to come later. But we we going to see Ana Marie's brand new baby girl named Eva Maire, more lovingly referred to as Scootch!! (yes, you must say it as an exclamation or else you're pronouncing it wrong. Its a Bahsten thing); so the trip was well worth it. There is a picture of Ana Marie and Scootch!! to the left here. It was a wonderful visit, the fancy cuban coffee cups and all.


We left around 4 towards Boston again. Still in the rain. I think the close quarters made us all a little batty...




We went to the section of Boston called Brookline for dinner. According to Dave and Jenk, it's the Jewish community of the area. It was really cute. But in all honsety I was too damp to enjoy it. I was kind of wishing I had brought closed toe shoes with me. Oh well. The day finally ended around 10 pm. Needless to say I slept great that night.

1 comment:

I.M. said...

aww sounds fun!

and what was it with everyone missing their flights last week??!?